Definition of Dynamic Stretching
The Definition of Dynamic Stretching can be best explained not in words but as a concept.
Have you seen any sports person getting ready for an event? If so, you would also recall their doing swift movements in succession before the main event starts.
It seems to help them in performing better.
Dynamic stretching is a series of repeated swift movements done in a sequential and well-coordinated manner to “loosen up” the muscles for better performance.
It enhances the functional range of mobility. Many athletes, dancers, PT trainers, coaches, martial arts practitioners are increasingly using it for optimizing their performances.
- What do Dynamic Stretches Involve?
- Why are Dynamic Stretches so Deliberate?
- Benefits of Dynamic Stretches
- Dynamic Stretching as Warm-Up Exercises
- What Else Does Dynamic Stretching Imply?
- Best 5 Dynamic Stretching Exercises for Everyone
- Definition of Dynamic stretching: A Final Analysis
- Related Questions
What do Dynamic Stretches Involve?
As is clear, dynamic stretching involves three clear stages done in rapid succession. Thes three stages are
- A continuous motion that it gives a stretch to the muscles and extends their full elastic limits.
- Holding the stretch for a short period of 15 to 30 seconds and
- Causing the soft tissues to stretch for a brief moment due to this muscular movement.
The catchword in the definition of dynamic stretching is “movement.”
Unlike the common perception, dynamic stretching is a deliberate and controlled set of smooth movements.
These loosen the body and achieve better performance by better coordination of movement.
Why are Dynamic Stretches so Deliberate?
One of the most significant factors distinguishing dynamic stretches is the fact that they are deliberate and slow.
The stretch reflex of the muscles mimics the typical movements encountered during the primary activity resulting in extending the connected tissues to their maximum potential.
Consequently holding this stretch for 3 to five seconds gives increased flexibility and strength.
Benefits of Dynamic Stretches
Dynamic stretches have many benefits. Some of the benefits of dynamic stretches include:
- Mental Preparedness –Getting involved in a dynamic stretch routine restrains the mind from diverting and helps in focusing on excelling the job at hand.
- Achieving Better Coordination – Achieving Better Coordination – Excelling in any competition involves a perfectly synchronized performance by the body. Furthermore, the slow and deliberate characteristic of dynamic stretching leads to creating such a harmony.
- Increased Endurance – Stretching and pulling the muscles and body tissues to their full extent increases endurance and helps in overcoming last-minute fatigue as well as muscular wear and tear.
- Increasing Concentration – When you are aware that your body is well-tuned and capable of working to the extreme limits of endurance, the capability to focus on excelling in that activity increases drastically.
- Improvement in Balance – The slow and deliberate stretches done while the body is in motion increases coordination and helps in maintaining balance.
Dynamic Stretching as Warm-Up Exercises
Warming up before any event is essential. Above all, it prepares you and helps in preventing any injury. Traditionally these warm-up exercises involved short running as well as static stretches.
Dynamic Stretching involves movement patterns that are tailor-made for a particular sport and are a more progressive form of doing warm-ups before the event.
Therefore, instead of mere generalized warm-up, they prepare you by extending suitable event-specific muscular patterns.
A warm-up involving dynamic stretching helps in the prevention of injury by preparing your body for the extreme range specific to that particular event. Therefore, regularly practicing these movements brings benefits that static exercises cannot achieve.
What Else Does Dynamic Stretching Imply?
These are highly functional exercises and are quite fun too! That is because they use gentle, sport-specific movements specific to your needs.
They improve overall flexibility and help you gain confidence as well as endurance during competitive sports.
Some of the other benefits that are not openly visible are that these stretches increase the neural drive and muscle contraction efficiency.
The normal responsiveness of the muscular tissues is smoother as the higher elasticity makes them capable of dealing with sudden impacts more efficiently.
Best 5 Dynamic Stretching Exercises for Everyone
Most people will be able to perform many dynamic exercises that fall in the general category.
It is always better to consult your doctor or coach before trying any of the following stretching exercises.
1. On-the-Spot Jogging
This is a great way to start your warm-up. It stabilizes your breathing as your body gets ready for stretching exercises.
You do this by jumping on your toes while lifting the feet and rolling the heels on landing.
2. Lunging and Twisting
This combination of a forward lunge with a horizontal twist tends to stretch the back muscles and makes the spine supple.
3. Knee to the Chest
This involves slow running with an emphasis on bringing the knees close to the chest while moving forward.
4. Forward-High Kicks
You do this by kicking the leg forward and upwards alternatively as high as possible. It gives a dynamic stretch to your hamstrings, making them stronger and more flexible.
Who doesn’t know about push-ups? It is one of the most widely known exercises especially suited for building arms and shoulders strength and warming up.
For best results, a round of 20 push-ups at your own pace is adequate initially and can go up progressively up to 50.
There are, of course, many other exercises too, but you should be careful and choose them selectively after expert guidance.
Progressing to advanced stretches can be tricky and may cause injury.
You can make them safer by taking the assistance of an object like a chair, table, wall, or a pole.
It is also a good idea to do these exercises with a buddy who can help make you stable while executing your movements.
Definition of Dynamic stretching: A Final Analysis
- Dynamic stretching is an ideal resource to prepare you ideally for high-intensity events. It helps not only at a physical level but also has a deep impact at the mental level as it gives you clarity and psychological advantage of being better prepared.
- It not only improves mobility but also has a deep impact on strength, elasticity, and flexibility at muscular as well as tendrils level which positively affects your performance.
- Dynamic Stretching is beneficial to all those seeking perfection in their respective fields, be it a sportsperson, a coach, a ballet dancer or just a person looking for good health.
- What is Static Stretching Definition? How is it different? – Static stretching involves extending the stretched muscle to and holding that position for 15 to 60 seconds. Comparatively, in a dynamic stretch, although the extension is through the full range of motion the position is not held. Its emphasis is on the movements.
- What is Ballistic Stretching Definition? – The term ballistic relates to movement done with great force. Therefore ballistic stretching involves using the momentum of your moving body to acquire the extreme limits of the muscular extension during its motion.
- What is Passive Stretching? – There is no movement while doing a passive stretch. Here you use external sources like straps, weights, or special equipment to achieve the result.